Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Health-O-Meter Weight Tracking Scale

Model HDM545-37.
UPC 080006111078
Product Page: http://www.healthometer.com/Product.aspx?cid=1087&pid=6961
Price:  $30

We bought this scale about 2 weeks ago.  It's a glass-top, two-user weight tracking scale.  It was working great until I got a low-battery warning just 2 weeks after I bought it.  Either the company ships it with crap batteries, or this thing chews through expensive CR2032 batteries in about 2 weeks.  Either way, I'm not taking the time to find out.  This thing is going back to the store for something that takes a more common battery so I can use my rechargeable batteries.

What I liked:
The scale was relatively easy for me to use, but then again, I'm a software guy.  It seems pretty accurate - with 4 separate load cells (like the Wii Fit balance board) it reports the same weight relatively consistently.  I like how it shows me how much weight was gained or lost after each weighing vs previous weighing for that user.

What I didn't like:
The user interface would be a little tricky for someone less technically-oriented.  Step on scale lightly, wait for a specific sequence of flashes...hold down foot on scale to select user.  2 seconds for this, 5 seconds for that.  If you don't think like a state machine, this will probably be more of a pain to use than a scale with a dedicated set of buttons for user selection.  The battery issue was big for me too.  2 CR2032 batteries every 2 weeks to keep a 2-user scale running for 2 people is just not cost-effective.  I understand that the load cells draw more power since there's 4 of them - but why not use AAA or AA batteries in the design?

Bottom Line:
If this scale took AA batteries, it would be a clear winner for me.  Looks nice, is accurate enough for what it's designed for, and the wifey got used to the back-asswards user interface.  It just isn't cost effective with those watch batteries.  It was returned to the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment